Dry brushing is a technique that has been around for many centuries and has been used as an Ayurvedic medicine in ancient times. The proper way to dry brush is to use a stiff-bristled body brush to apply gentle pressure to your skin and make circular sweeping motions. Start at your feet and work your way up your body to your shoulders and arms, all the while brushing in the direction of your heart. Experts recommend dry brushing one to two times a week (ideally on completely dry skin right before hopping into a shower) and following up with a moisturizer.
Below, we listed 5 benefits of dry brushing:
- Improves blood circulation: dry brushing boosts circulation by promoting blood flow to the areas that have been brushed. Good blood circulation is key for maintaining your health and allows for proper organ function, faster wound healing, healthier skin, and many more.
- Exfoliates dead skin: dry brushing is an excellent way to physically slough off all your flaky dead skin cells. Removing this dead skin will increase cellular turnover to reveal softer, smoother skin and give your body a healthy and natural glow. An added bonus of dry brushing is that it will make your moisturizers more effective at absorbing into your skin.
- Stimulates the lymphatic system: dry brushing stimulates lymphatic drainage and boosts your lymphatic system, which is crucial for removing toxins and protecting your body from infections. Your lymphatic system works alongside your circulatory system; blood carries lymph fluid throughout your body. And since dry brushing boosts blood circulation, it thereby also boosts the lymphatic system.
- May prevent and reduce the appearance of cellulite: dry brushing can have a temporary plumping effect on the skin, which can minimize the appearance of cellulite. It’s also believed that repeated and consistent dry brushing can help break up fat deposits and distribute them more evenly, preventing new cellulite from forming.
- Relieves stress: dry brushing can be considered a form of self-care and may make you feel more relaxed and at ease. Similar to a massage, the effects of dry brushing can ease muscle tension and promote deeper sleep.