When you think of breakfast, toast may be the first thing that comes to mind. A slice of toasted bread with butter is classic, simple, and easy to make. However, there are many different flavor variations you can add to toast to spice it up – the possibilities are endless! Whether you prefer sweet or savory breakfasts, toast can be a perfect medium for you and can be enjoyed every morning.
Here are 5 different ways to spruce up your morning toasts and upgrade your breakfasts:
1. Egg & Avocado: gently mash an avocado with a fork, sprinkle it with a bit of salt, pepper, and lime juice, and then spread this mixture over toasted bread. Top it with an egg cooked to your liking and add a dash of red pepper flakes (optional) to make for a delicious and hearty breakfast.
2. Smoked Salmon with Red Onion & Capers: if you love lox and cream cheese bagels, you’ll love this toast substitute. Mix cream cheese, lemon juice, and fresh dill in a small bowl. Spread this mixture over toasted bread and top with smoked salmon, red onion, capers, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste.
3. Nut Butter with Sliced Bananas: this tasty toast recipe is packed with flavor and requires minimal preparation. Slather your toasted bread with any nut butter of your choice (almond butter, cashew butter, peanut butter, etc. are all excellent options) and top off with sliced banana pieces and a drizzle of honey. Other optional toppings you can add include: chia seeds, cacao nibs, berries, or coconut flakes.
4. Hummus with Roasted Red Peppers: this delicious Mediterranean-inspired recipe is sure to become a breakfast favorite. Spread hummus dip over your toasted bread and top with roasted red peppers, basil pesto, and pine nuts (optional.) Other great additional toppings include: cucumbers, tomatoes, or feta cheese.
5. Mozzarella Cheese with Tomatoes & Balsamic Glaze: top your toasted bread with fresh mozzarella cheese slices, tomato slices, and chopped basil. Drizzle it with balsamic glaze and salt and pepper to taste. Other delicious cheese substitutes you can use include: cream, cottage, ricotta, or goat cheese.