Maintaining a good immune system is critical for staying healthy and preventing illnesses. A well-functioning immune system fights off pathogens and aids in your body’s wound-healing process. Eating a well-balanced diet filled with fruits and vegetables is an excellent way to boost your immune system. We listed 5 fruits below that you should considering adding to your diets:
- Citrus Fruits: increasing your uptake of vitamin C when you’ve been struck with a common cold or illness is not uncommon – and with good reason. Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant thought to increase antibodies and white blood cells, which are essential for your body’s defenses to fight off infections. Citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruits, lemons, limes, etc. are great choices as they’re rich in vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Kiwifruit (or kiwi for short): this tart fruit is an excellent choice because it’s high in antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins. It promotes a healthy heart, digestive system, and immune system. Kiwi contains approximately 230% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C. One study has found that kiwis reduced the likelihood of developing colds or illnesses.
- Papaya: this fruit contains high levels of antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E. Papayas are also great for healthy digestion and reducing cholesterol. Beta-carotene, which gives fruit their yellow-orange hue, is rich in papayas. Studies have actually found papayas to contain 3 times the amount of Beta-carotene than in carrots and tomatoes. This carotenoid converts to vitamin A in your body to boost immune cell activity.
- Apples: you might be familiar with the saying, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away,” and while there’s no scientific evidence that directly links apples as the main contributor to fewer doctor visits, eating apples does have its health benefits. This fruit is loaded with essential vitamins and fiber. And particularly found in the skin of apples is quercetin, a type of flavonoid and powerful antioxidant that regulates the immune system and reduces inflammation.
- Blueberries: this is an excellent immune-boosting superfood that’s rich in antioxidants such as flavonoids and polyphenols, which work with your gut bacteria to reduce inflammation, amplify your body’s immune response, and prevent cellular damage.